Company: California State University Office of the Chancell
Location: Long Beach
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Financial SpecialistJob no: 505487
Work type: Staff
Location: Chancellor's Office
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services,
Administrative, Probationary, Full Time
Chancellor's Office StatementJoin our team at the California State
University, Office of the Chancellor, and make a difference in
providing access to higher education. We are currently seeking
experienced candidates for the position of Financial Specialist.
The CSU Chancellor's Office, located on the waterfront adjacent to
the Aquarium of the Pacific in downtown Long Beach, is the
headquarters for the nation's largest and most diverse system of
higher education. The CSU Chancellor's Office offers a premium
benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, and
dental plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the
California Public Employees Retirement System (PERS); and 14 paid
holidays a year.SalaryThe salary range for this classification is
$4,693 to $8,489 per month.ClassificationAdministrative
Analyst/Specialist - Exempt IIPosition InformationThe California
State University, Office of the Chancellor, is seeking a Financial
Specialist to be responsible for all financial transactions and
financial reports for the departments of Academic Success &
Inclusive Excellence (ASIE), Center for Community Engagement (CCE)
and Office of External Relations (OER). The financial specialist
also provides strategic recommendations and insights to maximize
department resources. This position will coordinate, administer,
and analyze the fiscal and budgetary policies and procedures for
all managed budgets with varying complex fund sources and
constraints. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring that all
transactions follow CSUCO, state, federal, and private grantor
fiscal policies, practices, and procedures. The incumbent also acts
as a financial thought-partner with department colleagues leading
programmatic work. This individual will independently monitor
expenditures; identify and rectify processing errors; reconcile
budget journal activities ensuring accurate expenditure of funds;
and lead annual budget request and allocations
processes.ResponsibilitiesUnder the general direction of the
Assistant Vice Chancellor and Senior Strategist, the Financial
- Lead, coordinate, administer, analyze, and monitor all
financial and business-related transactions for the departments
across all funding sources.
- Work with lead department staff on grant proposal preparation.
- Advise AVC and other department leaders on financial
strategy.-Plan, organize, and manage multiple activities associated
with pre- and post-award fiscal administration to ensure compliance
with grant requirements and CSU policies.
- Administer and track allocations, proposal requests, contracts,
purchase orders and other documentation required for proper fund
expenditure and accounting.
- Coordinate, administer and analyze funding distributed to CSU
campuses for professional and program development
- Review and analyze financial reports and reconcile financial
transactions for all CCE, ASIE and OER accounts using PeopleSoft
- Communicate regularly with the divisions of Academic and
Student Affairs, as well as Business and Finance to ensure
departments are compliant with financial transaction policies and
- Determine appropriate and effective methods/approaches to
executing financial matters based on an analysis of existing
policies and procedures.
- Prepare data and/or reports on fiscal matters for various
agencies (Chancellor's Office, Department of Finance, Legislators,
- Develop policies, forms, trainings and onboarding for
department staff and grant PIs regarding fiscal management and
- Ensure the departments are compliant with all laws, policies,
and provisions of funding sources.
- Develop knowledge of all provisions, laws, and policies of
departmental funding sources (including attending CO trainings and
disseminating as needed).
- Coordinate travel arrangements and complete travel
reimbursement paperwork for members of CCE's CSU STEM VISTA
program, departmental guests, consultants, and department staff, as
- Coordinate, plan and develop the budget process for
departments, including annual budget requests, projections, and
- Review and approve, with AVC oversight, AVC staff travel
authorization and expenses in the Chancellor's Office travel system
- Coordinate and process HR-related paperwork for recruitment,
separation, renewal, reclassification, labor distribution documents
and maintain personnel files.
- Conduct and process labor cost distribution and staffing cost
- Manage the fiscal operations and act as a secondary Delegation
of Authority (DOA) for all departmental financial transactions.
- Provide general assistance to department staff as
needed.QualificationsThis position requires:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or
university or equivalent combination of education and related
experience is required to include a minimum of 4 years
progressively responsible budgetary and administrative work
experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to
the development or improvement of administrative policies,
procedures, practices, or programs.
- Expertise with state and CSUCO fiscal policies, practices, and
- Experience in managing federal, private, and state grants.
- Excellent administrative management skills required. Requires
budget experience, and/or advanced knowledge in PeopleSoft systems.
- Excellent organization skills in a multi-tasking environment.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals
(faculty, students, funders, administrators, program officers).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and ability to
prioritize tasks to ensure completion in a timely manner to meet
- Strong collaborative and communication abilities.
- Ability to work in a networked computer environment.
- A general knowledge of governmental and not-for-profit
accounting methods and related laws, rules and regulations
- Ability to respond to inquiries from staff on a variety of
policies and procedures and determine the most appropriate method
or approach to address a fiscal or administrative matter.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency with computer application such as Microsoft Office
- Well-organized, excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills and the ability to
present information clearly and effectively.
- Work independently, but willing to take directions and ask
- Ability to commit to deadlines and complete projects on time.
- Diligence and ability to push issues through to resolution.
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills.Application
PeriodApplications will be accepted until the job posting is
removed.How To ApplyPlease click "Apply Now" to complete the
California State University, Chancellor's Office online employment
application.Equal Employment OpportunityThe university is an Equal
Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on
the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability,
genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual
orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants
with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human
Resources Manager at (562) 951-4070.Title IXPlease view the Notice
of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact
Information for Title IX Coordinator at:
https://www2.calstate.edu/titleixE-VerifyThis position requires new
hire employment verification to be processed through the E-Verify
program administered by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S.
Citizenship and Immigration Services (DHSUSCIS)' in partnership
with the Social Security Administration (SSA).If hired, you will be
required to furnish proof that you are legally authorized to work
in the United States.COVID19 Vaccination RequirementThe CSU
requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus
facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or
religious exemption. Any candidates advanced in a currently open
search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement
as a condition of employment. The systemwide policy can be found at
Chancellor's Office policy requires that the selected candidate
successfully complete a full background check (including a criminal
records check) prior to assuming this position.
Keywords: California State University Office of the Chancell, Long Beach , Financial Specialist, Accounting, Auditing , Long Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!