Tool Design Engineer - FiberSIM
Company: Motive Companies
Location: Long Beach
Posted on: September 17, 2022
We are seeking a highly skilled Tool Design Engineer with recent
FiberSIM experience to serve as the FiberSIM software Subject
Matter Expert in defining composite laminates and generating
ply-by-ply engineering definition for small satellite launch
programs. The candidate in this role will assist in Aerospace
composite and metallic part tooling definition and development.
- Create flat patterns from ply-by-ply engineering definition of
laminates using Unigraphics NX and FiberSim software.
- Generate files for ply cutting and ply projection.
- Provide tooling solutions for all aspects of composite
structures production, including tooling, laminating, drilling,
routing/trimming, bonding, and assembly processes.
- Stay current on the latest technology for composite production
and assembly processes and implement new technology as appropriate
into the manufacturing process.
- Develop tooling concepts for manufacturing and coordinate with
the tooling team on design and fabrication.
- Assist manufacturing engineers in defining assembly
- Provide technical expertise into the design of the components
and assemblies to maximize quality level, minimize cost, and
achieve rate targets.
- Prepare and present design reviews.
- Contribute to the production layout of the process in the
facility, continually analyzing and planning workflow, space
requirements and equipment layout.
- Develop error-proofing techniques to minimize risk and assure
- Use root cause analysis for manufacturing issues in development
- Provide specifications, evaluation and implementation of new
capital equipment for the production processes.
- Evaluate alternative manufacturing and assembly processes to
improve quality and cost
If you want to join us, you'd better have all of these:
BS Degree + FiberSIM software experience and expertise is
- Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace, Mechanical or Manufacturing
Engineering or similar field.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment, especially
where mass and cost are critical.
- Proven experience using FiberSim software and
- Experience with new part introduction for composite structures;
including trimming, drilling, structural bonding, and assembly
- Demonstrated experience reducing composite production costs and
in lean manufacturing.
- Experience with capacity and rate planning for manual work
centers and capital equipment.
- Expertise in composite manufacturing processes, such as: manual
layup, fiber placement, winding, bulk and sheet molding, bonding,
co-curing, co-bonding, bagging and curing, oven and autoclave
operation, and composite repairs.
- Good at freehand concept sketching to clearly communicate your
- Self-driven, with a strong background in pragmatic project
management, problem solving, organization, inter-team communication
skills, and attention to detail.
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as
well as weekends when needed.
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full
vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved
reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin
Skills we Value
Knowledge and understanding of lean manufacturing and its
application to low and medium volume production programs.
- Experience with Teamcenter, Oracle is a plus.
- Exposure to finite element analysis software, hand calculations
and report writing of results.
- Familiar with the use of PFMEAs to reduce risk to the
For more information email Katie Grogan @
Keywords: Motive Companies, Long Beach , Tool Design Engineer - FiberSIM, Engineering , Long Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!