Food Service Manager
Company: Lazy Acres
Location: Long Beach
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Who Is Lazy Acres Natural Market?
At Lazy Acres Natural Market, we believe in a natural approach to
optimal health and wellness. From organic and seasonal produce and
products steeped in tradition, to functional supplements and body
care, we are here to support you in mind, body and soul.
Our friendly, informative, and passionate team members remain
committed to providing exceptional service and wellness tips with
our community; and accommodating the needs of our guests. We
continue to live by the closely held belief that our collective
actions can and will contribute to a healthier planet.
We're committed to creating an environment that will attract the
most passionate and enthusiastic people in our field. We're always
on the lookout for people inspired by health, wellness, and eating
clean and strive for excellent customer service. Our Leadership is
dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment,
offering opportunities for professional growth, education, and
Ingredients You'll Bring to the Table
You love food and have the ability to create an experience that is
beyond the everyday. You have a positive attitude and work well in
a team environment. You can connect with people and reach a level
of hospitality that exceeds guests' expectation. You are warm,
outgoing, authentically amazing and want to be inspired, challenged
and proud of where you work, You embody a spirit of
entrepreneurship and mutual respect. You approach every situation
with a YES! attitude and seek to find a solution to all
opportunities that arise.
What Will Be On Your Plate?
Job Title: Food Service Manager
Departments: Food Service
Reports To: Manager of Perishables
In addition to performing all required duties in the Deli, Cheese,
& Catering Departments, the Food Service Manager will take full
responsibility for the operation & success of these departments.
Responsibility is defined as, but not limited to, operations,
planning, directing, managing, and achieving targeted profits. In
addition, the Food Service Manager is directly responsible for
staff development. The Food Service Manager must cultivate a solid
working relationship between himself/herself and his/her staff.
Developing and instilling positive morale is the key to success of
the Food Service Department. The Food Service Manager must also
cultivate a working relationship with other department managers to
cross-merchandise effectively. The Food Service Manager must have
the necessary confidence, commitment, and motivation to move their
staff & themselves towards success. Key personality traits and
skills to accomplish this are: strong communication skills, good
listening skills, strong leadership skills; must be self-motivated,
observant, perceptive, decisive, flexible, patient, supportive, and
must possess a strong sense of urgency in all duties performed. Due
to Bristol Farms Lazy Acres' goals and structure, the Food Service
Manager should also be open to growth and expansion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Leads by example; models correct behavior and adherence to
company policies and procedures.
- Oversees entire operations of the Deli, Caf , Catering, and
- Maintains the appropriate profit margin in accordance with the
approved pre-set budget, which entails, but is not limited to:
sales goals, cost of goods, labor, expenses, price changes and
- Manages costs by controlling shrink and theft
- Coordinates the activities of workers engaged in ordering,
processing, and selling of products.
- Prepares the weekly and daily work schedules and directs the
activities of employees working in the Food Service
- When scheduling employees considers busy and slow times and
places talent accordingly.
- Responsible for controlling labor results, including overtime
under the supervision of the Store Director.
- Is responsible for the training and overall development of
employees working in the Food Service Departments, on a daily
- Ensures proper training on weighing, slicing, cutting, and
serving of deli products.
- Trains employees on all opening and closing procedures.
- Documents all meetings/training and collects employee
signatures as required.
- Engages and coaches' others in suggestive selling
- Responsible for consistent practices among all Food Service
- Maintains price integrity and proper weights and measures as
mandated by California State Laws.
- Examines products bought for resale or received for
- Helps breakdown and store products received.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining all marketing
- Manages and assures proper displaying and selling of all deli
products to customers and advises customers on quality of food,
method of handling, and other factors affecting preparing,
freezing, and storage.
- Suggests development of new products to supervisor. If
approved, implements suggestions.
- Responsible for the maintenance of inventory control especially
for theft, shrinkage, and storage.
- Assures low shrink and waste through proper ordering and
- Responsible for conducting inventory, preparing for inventory,
and inventory results.
- Responsible for communication with the Store Director on all
Food Service-related issues.
- Responsible for communication with all Food Service employees
including weekly communications such as the Weekly Bulletin and
monthly Safety News .
- Responsible for using the tools provided by management to
ensure the success of the Food Service departments.
- Handles customer complaints in such a manner to assure customer
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work area at all times.
- Knows all cleaning chemicals authorized in the Food Service
area and understands proper usage.
- Trains all Food Service employees on proper use of cleaning
- Follows the FIFO rotation system (First-in, First-out ).
Covers, labels, and dates all leftover foods. Utilizes leftover
foods before opening new product.
- Inspects food and food preparation; including measuring
temperatures throughout the preparation process, to maintain
quality and sanitation in accordance with the FDA and local health
departmental codes and Bristol Farms Lazy Acres' stringent
- Follows safety work standards and reports any safety hazards to
- Reports on and investigates all accidents which occur in the
Food Service Departments.
- Assures that all reports and investigations comply with the
Cal-Osha SB198 rules and regulations.
- Maintains the Food Service Area, including all cases, under
current health codes and Bristol Farms Lazy Acres standards on
sanitation and cleanliness.
- Arranges for all equipment to be fixed and cleaned.
- Follows & enforces policies set forth in the employee handbook
at all times, especially on service standards and appearance.
- Availability requirements include but are not limited to days,
evenings, weekends, holidays & occasional overnight.
- At all times, meets and exceeds Bristol Farms Lazy Acres
standards of excellence in service, quality, cleanliness,
appearance & leadership.
The Food Service Manager manages employees in the Food Service
Departments which include the Deli, Cheese, & Catering Departments.
He/she is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and
evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities
in accordance with Bristol Farms Lazy Acres policies and all
applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing; training
employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising
performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing
complaints and resolving problems.
Customer Service Skills
Food Service Managers are expected to provide customer service that
is extra ordinary and exceeds the expectations of our customers.
They are required to follow established policies and guidelines
that go beyond simply smiling and greeting customers. Going above
and beyond encompasses attitudes, respect, and flexibility. Food
Service Managers are expected to have a positive "can-do" attitude;
to treat others with respect; and easily adjust to changes in the
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma or general education degree (GED); must have
experience and background as a Deli manager, Assistant Deli manager
or a manager in other food service industries, which includes but
not limited to hotels, country clubs, gourmet markets, or
restaurants. One year certificate from college or technical school
and minimum two years' work-related experience; or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to
speak effectively before groups of customers, or employees of
Bristol Farms Lazy Acres.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts,
proportions, and percentages. Ability to add, subtract, divide, and
multiply using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to resolve
conflicts in such a manner to create a win-win situation. Ability
to analyze a variety of situations, think through to a solution and
implement the solution.
Knowledge of English
This is a customer service driven position. The candidate must have
the ability to speak, read and understand English. Ability to speak
and understand Spanish a plus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to stand; walk; use hands to finger; handle, or feel
objects, tools, or controls. The employee occasionally is required
to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required
to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The
employee must frequently lift and /or move up to 50 pounds and
occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision
abilities required by this job include close and color vision.
While performing the duties of this job, the Employee regularly
works near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally
exposed to extreme heat and/or cold, to electrical shock, and to
risk of burn. The noise level in the work environment is usually
moderate & occasionally loud.
Why You'll Love Working at Lazy Acres Natural Market
- Amazing earning potential, paid weekly!
- A values-based culture that will engage and empower your growth
- A strong training program that will build your restaurant and
guest service skills
- Opportunity for growth within our family of brands
- Benefits available - Including medical, dental, vision, and
- Numerous scholarship opportunities available to full & part
time team members
- 20% discount at all Bristol Farms and Lazy Acres locations
- $60 credit to Shoes for Crews every 6 months of employment
TAL2 Associated topics: assistant general manager, backend,
director food and beverage, general operations manager, management,
manager, night shift manager, operations manager, restaurant
general manager, supervisor
Keywords: Lazy Acres, Long Beach , Food Service Manager, Executive , Long Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!