Company: Port of Long Beach
Location: Long Beach
Posted on: September 19, 2023
Sorry, Visa / sponsorship not available.
Under general direction of the Assistant Director and Director of
Tenant Services, the Manager of Tenant Services will direct and
oversee the execution of duties assigned to all direct reports.
This role provides project-based support to the Division and
Section with regards to the design and implementation of
initiatives intended to maintain and improve cargo velocity. The
Manager-Tenant Services oversees the Section to support, monitor,
create and implement operational procedures and processes, attend
to all tenants and Port users, and coordinate customer projects to
minimize impacts to Port and Port user operations.
How you get to contribute...
- Manage personnel within the Tenant Services section including
direct oversight of all hiring, training, evaluation and
- Forecast and maintain the annual budget for the Tenant Services
- Identify and develop work flow processes to streamline and
modernize the way that core duties and functions are performed by
- Evaluate the performance of marine terminal operations
(container and non-container terminals) with a goal of identifying
potential port policy initiatives, supply chain process changes,
and specific technology deployments that will enhance throughput
efficiencies for the Port and its customers.
- Evaluate existing terminal capabilities and make
recommendations to implement specific developmental initiatives for
berth, yard, rail and gate operations to support stakeholder
- Provide direction to the Chief Wharfinger in the resolution of
disputes and tenant complaints.
- Serve as intermediate escalation between Chief Wharfinger and
Division management on any concerns pertaining to Port, tenant and
stakeholder interactions with national, local and governmental
- Serve on the Harbor Safety Committee and assist with the POLB
Strategic Seaport/Port Readiness Plan.
- Provide port briefings to industry visitors and VIP
delegations, and represent the Port at industry events and
- Serve on the Business Continuity Team; subject to call-back in
case of emergency.
- Perform other duties as required.
The Port of Long Beach has established an annual salary range of
$128,000 to $160,000 (this is an at-will position). Placement will
be based on qualifications. An attractive package of executive
level benefits is also included with the opportunity of working in
one of the most diverse and dynamic areas of the United States. The
Port s generous benefits package includes:
- Retirement CalPERS 2% @ 62, coordinated with Social Security
(member contribution 8.00% for CalPERS, and 6.2% for Social
- Deferred Compensation City match of up to 2% of base salary for
all qualified members that are contributing to the 457(b)
- Group Health Insurance The current, standard group health
insurance includes medical, dental and vision coverage. The City
currently offers two medical (an HMO and PPO) and two dental plans
to choose from.
- Life Insurance City-paid life insurance policy of $20,000 plus
executive insurance benefit equal to three times annual salary up
to a maximum of $500,000.
- Disability Insurance City-paid short- and long-term disability
- Pay for Performance Pay-For-Performance is awarded based on
employee performance as demonstrated through achievement of
individual goals, demonstration of required competencies and
available budget funds.
- Vacation Vacation is accrued at 3.7 hours per pay period to
begin, which is equivalent to two weeks on an annual basis. Accrual
rate is predicated upon length of service. Vacation can be used
after six months of service.
- Sick Leave Accrued at eight (8) hours per month. Accruals may
be converted upon retirement to cash credit toward health and/or
dental insurance premiums or retirement service credits.
- Paid Parental Leave after six (6) months of employment; up to
30 calendar days (160 hours), taken in full-day increments, in
connection with the birth, adoption, or foster placement of a
child, up to the age of 17.
- Executive Leave 40 hours per year.
- Holidays 11 scheduled holidays per calendar year, and 4
- Bereavement Leave Three (3) days for death or critical illness
of immediate family member.
- Education Reimbursement Tuition reimbursement available for
employees to obtain additional education or training.
- Annual Physical Eligible to receive an annual physical
examination at City expense through the City-provided
- The Port of Long Beach is an equal opportunity employer. We do
not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin,
sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
age, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable
legally protected characteristics.
The City of Long Beach will consider qualified applicants with a
criminal history pursuant to the California Fair Chance Act. You
are not required to disclose your criminal history or participate
in a background check until you receive a conditional job offer. If
the City of Long Beach has concerns about a conviction that is
directly related to the job after making a conditional job offer
and conducting a background check, you will have the opportunity to
explain the circumstances surrounding the conviction, provide
evidence to mitigate concerns, or challenge the accuracy of the
background report. Find out more about the Fair Chance Act by
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Public
Administration, International Trade, Global Logistics, or a closely
related field is required. Additional experience may be substituted
for the required education on a year-for-year basis to the extent
that the experience has prepared the individual to perform the
duties of the classification.
- Master's Degree in above disciplines is not required, but is
- Certificate as a Global Logistics Specialist is a plus.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience with a
shipping line, marine terminal, or port operation, 3 of which
should include supervision of staff.
- A history of managing and successfully working with people from
diverse backgrounds and areas of technical expertise is
- A history of creating effective working relationships across
functional lines is expected.
- Proven ability to implement new programs or practices designed
to enhance service and value is required.
- Prior Port experience is desirable.
- Customer service and problem solving experience in the maritime
industry is preferred.
- Commercial real estate experience is desirable.
- Strong leadership background in a complex, similarly situated
organization is preferred.
- Work experience in the goods movement industry highly
preferred; preference also given to experience in other port
Technical Skills Needed:
- Must be a strong manager of people; capable of motivating and
- Ability to develop and implement goals, objectives, policies
and procedures, work standards and internal controls.
- Ability to read, interpret, explain and apply complex
regulations, procedures, contracts and agreements, tariffs and
other documents to stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively negotiate and resolve stakeholder
inquiries, complaints and concerns.
- Ability to conduct public meetings and make effective
- Experience interviewing, training and mentoring staff to meet
ongoing challenges and to strengthen the Division, Port, and
- Must have a hands-on approach and willingness to lead by
- Must be capable of effectively managing a numerous of diverse
projects with conflicting priorities.
- Must be able to effectively use existing and new Port
technology, including but not limited to MS Office.
- Must be able to thoroughly analyze and find creative solutions
to difficult problems.
- Must have high-level organizational and planning skills so that
workflow is managed efficiently and accurately; must be able to set
priorities, take initiative and exercise sound independent
- Must make effective use of available resources.
- Must be motivated to take on new tasks and learn new processes
- Must be a creative, strategic thinker dedicated to quality
- Must have the ability to prepare clear, accurate and concise
written reports and correspondence.
- Ability to accurately and repeatedly perform advanced data
gathering and record-keeping functions.
- Ability to calculate cargo rates, revenue and other analyses
based off of tariff, lease, and other controlling documents is
- Ability to read and interpret regulations and legal contracts
- Ability to identify problems and to recommend and coordinate
solutions is required.
- Ability to effectively handle customer complaints, billing and
other queries is required.
- Must have a valid California Driver s License to perform
work-related duties, including driving to meetings and work related
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Transportation Worker
Identification Credential (TWIC) during the course of
The final filing date for this recruitment is: Monday, September 4,
2023 @ 11:59 pm PDT. To be considered for this opportunity, please
submit a cover letter and resume with your application outlining
your relevant work experience. Applications are ONLY accepted
through the government jobs URL.
If you require an accommodation because of a disability in order to
participate in any phase of the application/selection process,
please contact the Port of Long Beach Human Resources team at
firstname.lastname@example.org. The Port reserves the right to extend the
closing date without notice in order to accept additional
Who we are...
The Port of Long Beach is the premier U.S. gateway for
trans-Pacific trade and a trailblazer in innovative goods movement,
safety, environmental stewardship and sustainability. Voted Best
West Coast Seaport by industry peers, the Port handles trade valued
at $200 billion annually and supports 2.6 million jobs across the
nation, more than 575,000 in Southern California, and more than
50,000 jobs or 1 in 5 in Long Beach.
The Port of Long Beach is the City of Long Beach s Harbor
Department and is governed by the Long Beach Board of Harbor
Commissioners. The Board of Harbor Commissioners leases port
shipping terminals and other facilities to private entities, and
revenues are reinvested in new facilities and port-related
improvements. The Port s Executive Director is appointed by the
Board and is responsible for overall Port activities.
Please Apply Online Below
Keywords: Port of Long Beach, Long Beach , MANAGER-TENANT SERVICES, Executive , Long Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!