Flight Software Engineer
Company: Rocket Lab USA
Location: Long Beach
Posted on: October 15, 2020
About Rocket Lab
At Rocket Lab we believe the future will be defined and enabled by
access to space. We re making it easy to get there. We re already
the global leader in dedicated small satellite launch and now we re
also building satellites and space systems that enable exploration
and innovation in low Earth orbit (LEO) and beyond.
The Photon Program
Rocket Lab is seeking exceptional engineers to work on its Photon
satellite program. Photon is a first-of-its-kind platform in the
small satellite industry: a versatile satellite bus that is also an
integral part of the launch vehicle. Photon is being developed to
enable a broad range of missions in low-Earth orbit and beyond.
Photon was recently selected by NASA to deploy a CubeSat to the
Moon in 2021 as a pathfinder for Gateway, the program to return
humans to the lunar surface.
Engineers within the Photon team have a unique opportunity to help
shape this space system and, given the high launch cadence of
Electron, have unparalleled opportunities for end-to-end software
development and on-orbit operations. Your days will be spent
developing software architecture, writing and testing software, and
iterating based on lessons learned from your software running in
space. The ideal candidate will have a strong software development
background and will be familiar spacecraft and satellite
Flight Software Engineer
Rocket Lab has multiple Flight Software Engineer positions
available for immediate hire. As the Flight Software Engineer you
develop and test spacecraft application software for the Photon
satellite program. In this role, you will work in multidisciplinary
teams involving hardware development, ground software / operations,
and systems engineering.
Duties & Responsibilities
* Collaborate with systems engineers and embedded systems engineers
in developing requirements and managing interfaces with hardware
and software within the vehicle
* Architect and develop application software for flight and ground
* Develop documentation for operation and interface with software
* Develop and participate in test campaigns ranging from unit-level
to automated testing at the subsystem and system-level.
Required Skills & Experience
* An engineering degree in computer science, electrical
engineering, computer engineering, or equivalent qualification
* 5-15 years of demonstrated applicable experience in both software
development and program management.
* Software development in Linux and embedded environments, as well
as C and C++
* Experience with software running in autonomous systems
(satellites preferred, but other examples would include UAVs,
self-driving cars, etc).
* Experience with networked communications and/or distributed
* Document management & systems engineering experience
* Experience working with subcontractors and vendors
* Demonstrated success working in a dynamic environment with
* Demonstrated success meeting aggressive development schedules
Desired Skills & Experience
* Direct experience writing satellite software
* Knowledge of the radiation environment of space and its impact on
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations,
applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the
US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or
eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US
Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with
Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and
qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race,
color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status,
disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity,
marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally
Keywords: Rocket Lab USA, Long Beach , Flight Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Long Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!