Job Description - Vice President, Human Resources
Vice President, Human Resources - ( LON006017 )
At MemorialCare Health System, we believe in providing
extraordinary healthcare to our communities and an exceptional
working environment for our employees. Memorial Care stands for
excellence in Healthcare. Across our family of medical centers, we
support each one of our bright, talented employees in reaching the
highest levels of professional development, contribution,
collaboration and accountability. Whatever your role and whatever
expertise you bring, we are dedicated to helping you achieve your
full potential in an environment of respect, innovation and
Position Summary The Vice President, Human Resources, is
responsible for providing strategic direction, organizational
leadership development, HR functional leadership and development of
employee culture through working closely with the Executive
Leadership and Leadership teams. The Vice President, Human
Resources plans, organizes, directs and controls the effective use
of Long Beach Memorial and Miller Children's Human Resources
Department and is responsible for development, implementation,
administration and communication of campus, policies and procedures
related to employee relations, training and development,
compensation, and benefits. Serves as internal resource to
management staff with respect to compliance with all Human
Resources related policies and procedures as well as requirements
of both state and federal statues pertaining to wage/hour, equal
employment opportunities, labor relations, etc. Responsible for the
assessment of organizational training needs as well as the design,
development and presentation of programs specific to the Human
Resources function and/or management development. Conducts analysis
including employee and customer service surveys to support
organizational decision making with respect to all operating
expenses (payroll) related to Human Resources.
The Vice President of Human Resources at Long Beach contributes
to and implements key System wide HR Strategic initiatives as well
as local HR strategies. Principal duties and
• Advances system-wide and local Human Resources initiatives
with Senior Leadership.
• Participates actively as a member of the Senior Leadership
• Consistent representative as HR Value Added Team (VAT) member.
Ensures System initiatives are well represented and executed at the
campus level and well understood by local HR teams.
• Plans, develops, advocates, secures approval for and
implements a Human Resources strategic plan which is supportive of
and complimentary to the operating goals and strategic business
plan for the integration of appropriate HR initiatives.
• Cultivates effective relationships with all levels of
management, HR staff, System partners and other key leaders
• Develops, implements and monitors the Human Resources programs
to ensure the Medical Center operates fairly and consistently
within the confines of applicable laws.
• Determines and recommends Human Resources practices necessary
to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promotes
a high level of employee morale.
• Designs and implements an annual budget for the Human
Resources Department, which supports the annual operating plan.
• Develops hospital-wide strategies for dealing with employee
• Manages an effective local labor relations program that
enhances strategic goals of Senior Leadership.
• Ensures that the Medical Center’s personnel practices comply
with all legal requirements through communication and
implementation of policies consistent with external laws, rules,
and regulations as well as management practices and labor
• Develops, secures approval for, and implements solid
• Supports consistency of System polices and other policies
unique to LBMMC/MCH and ensures that policies are administered
fairly and consistently within budget and within legal
• Ensures the development and implementation of appropriate
training and development programs that provide employees and
managers opportunities to develop their skills in support of
quality health care services.
• Monitors turnover, grievances, litigation, and customer
service reports, develops and manages solutions to issues raised on
behalf of management.
• Implements programs designed to attract, retain, and develop
competent staff who will contribute significantly to the growth and
development of LBMMC/MCH, and who will support the mission, vision
and values of Memorialcare Health System
• Oversees local Succession planning, ensures written succession
plans for all key positions.
• Investigates all charges of discrimination/sexual harassment
etc. and when necessary, develops organization’s legal position in
conjunction with Counsel and Senior Leadership.
• Develops and monitors the quality of service to our customers,
develops and implements Action Plans to address deficiencies and
Qualifications Position Requirements
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration and/or Human
Resources Administration or a closely related field or equivalent
from an accredited educational institution.
• A Master’s Degree in the above field(s) or a closely related
field is strongly preferred.
• SPHR certification strongly preferred.
• Minimum of five years’ work experience performing Human
Resources functions as a Director or Vice President of Human
Resources is required. Health care/ Hospital experience
• Experience in California with labor codes, state, federal,
NLRB regulations and the Joint Commission standards is
• Strong background in labor and employee relations
• Organizational development, training and change management