Structures Manufacturing Engineer
Company: Relativity Space
Location: long beach
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Team and Role Overview
The Manufacturing team at Relativity Space pulls together the
efforts of all other design, additive, vehicle and manufacturing
teams to deliver flight-ready vehicles for test and launch. To meet
our goals, we will design for manufacture and build best in class
manufacturing, test, and quality control processes to keep our team
moving fast while still producing high quality, well understood
products. The Structures Manufacturing Engineers will be
responsible for taking primary structures from the Additive
Development team and manufacturing them into Integration-ready
structures assemblies. The scope of work includes printed assembly
design for manufacturing, part logistics, post-processing,
trim/drill operations, joining operations, and mechanical assembly
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
- Own a major structural assembly and its child components from
printed structure to Integration-lay out the build flow to ensure
an efficient, high-quality product flow capable of scaling with
- Drive the assembly's first manufacturing effort through design,
integration, assembly sequencing, mBOM development, and build work
- Identify, plan, prioritize, and/or design the tooling required
to achieve the desired production demand.
- Work closely with external parts and process vendors to design
and build parts designed for manufacturability.
- Establish the assembly's station within the inaugural work cell
by considering assembly operations, tooling and capital equipment
requirements, and rate targets.
- Assist with developing the business tools and processes that
will be used to manufacture the first launch vehicle. In parallel,
help to define and pilot the long-term ERP, MES, and QMS solutions
that will enable high-quality, efficient vehicle
- Develop strong working relationships with both Engineering and
Additive Development teams to ensure all company objectives can be
- Leverage software and automation to rapidly build hardware
while maintaining an accurate record of the as-planned and as-built
To be successful in this role, you hold a relevant engineering
degree and have 3+ years of related experience, ideally in an
aerospace manufacturing environment. You have demonstrated
experience working cross-functionally to build large scope first
article assemblies, resolve complex manufacturing issues, and
meeting production demand. The ideal candidate has a strong mindset
toward simple design solutions, quality, root cause analysis, and
implementation of reliable and productive processes. You're a
tinkerer but also a self-starter who can balance and prioritize
daily tasks that contribute to short and long term company
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or
- Minimum of 3 years of experience building hardware in a
- Extensive experience authoring work instructions to build
- Experience with design for manufacture and building a first
- Experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing,
and production personnel.
- Expert in at least 2 of the following: welding, trim and drill
operations, LOX cleanliness, mechanical fastening and torqueing
operations, mating operations, lifting, tool design and fab, NDT,
subassembly build, etc.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and
own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept
communication to a diverse team.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a
manufacturing, test, and production system with proven
- Experience developing user interfaces for manufacturing
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems
and quality management systems.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our
company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion,
color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital
status, veteran status, or disability status.
Keywords: Relativity Space, Long Beach , Structures Manufacturing Engineer, Other , long beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!